So considering I got THREE of these over the weekend…I thought it would be a good thing to pass this info along.
There is another wave of malware making the rounds….called “ransomware” – one example is it comes in an email like this…a package alert…and tells you need to download and print a label.
Apparently if you download the malware, the hard drive is scanned and documents, presentations, videos, and photos are encrypted and the computer is locked down. You are then presented with a screen telling you that you have 100 hours to pay up or the data will be permanently destroyed.
The email ALMOST looks legitimate…except if you look in the few important places..you’ll see where it’s not..
1) the email address…um that’s NOT a valid sender for “Fedex Shipping Services” (in some email programs, if you put your mouse over the display name, you’ll see the return address).
2) the date…the package was delivered on Oct 5? today is Oct 27th?!
3) if you put your mouse over the “click here” link….um, yeah…that really looks legitimate.
So the morals of the story are:
1) no, I didn’t get a package from FedEx…and
2) Please continue to watch where you click…and practice “safe computing”